William Kosman - Artiste Peintre

Thursday, March 13, 2008

#7: Steady Progress

"How's this look?"
"How's this look?" (closeup)

I believe that my sessions with the model for this painting have ended, and I think the painting is just about completed. I think you can see what I've done. I've refined the face, which is really the most important part of this painting. I want to get her expression just right. I've sharpened the dress-shop background. And, I've applied what's called a glaze over the mirror, to make it clear to the viewer that this is a mirror. In fact, I added just a few hints of reflections.

Frankly, I'm pleased with the painting. I believe it gets a pretty interesting idea across to the viewer, and it's pleasant to look.

I might make a few minor adjustments, but the painting is really completed.

I'm an emotional painter, and the way I feel while I paint is important to me. I felt good while working on this painting. The model is a good person, and I believe we had good professional rapport. She has a very sweet nature, and I tried to express that.

What do you think?

Also, I felt a level of confidence in my skills while I painted. Applying each brush stroke, knowing that your hand is steady and sure, knowing that your choice of colors and tones are right to express the contours and emotions you want to show, knowing that the kind of brush stroke is right to express your ideas - all of this is important, and I felt good about it.

In the next few days, I will be beginning some new, frankly exciting projects. I'm not going to talk about them until I have something concrete to show.

But they are the result of the support my work has been receiving. I want to thank the people who have expressed support. Frankly, producing work that gives pleasure and stimulates new ideas and insights and emotions, work that tells us that we are reaching high among the capabilities of human beings - all of this is a slow, steady process, and we have to accept each step.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    Hey Bill,
    The painting looks great. The expression does take me to moments of contemplation in a dressing room. Looking forward to seeing the real thing on Monday. See you then,

    Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home