William Kosman - Artiste Peintre

Friday, May 14, 2010

#26: "Morning Prayer" - Not talkin' much, but still workin.'









My Fellow Art Lovers:

First of all, I want to say I'm sorry about my silence for quite a while. I don't know how may of you wait anxiously for my next image or word (That's my form of humor.), but I want to tell you I've been involved in a few personal things that kept me from my work, and I've also been involved in a project that I don't want to talk about now, but it will be great if the planets are lined up in the right order.

Okay, let's get back to real art. The title of the painting I want to show you today is "Morning Prayer." I completed it just a while ago, but it has been on my mind for more than a year. You recall that I did a series of paintings about Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and the Lubovitch community there. Well, while I was there I observed morning prayers and study in a small synagogue. One morning, around 5:30, I was walking out of the synagogue, and I noticed a man in the window across the street praying. He appeared totally unaware of the world around him. I was struck by what I took to be his devotion and dedication, and I was struck by the beauty of the scene.

Over the next year, I tried several times to paint that scene from a series of photographs I took. But it never worked. Then, just a while ago, I decided I would try one more time. This time, I used a larger canvas that gave me more room to render the scene without feeling crowded. From the first brush stroke, the painting just felt right. Each brush stroke became more and more powerful, and my confidence and - I hope - the quality of my painting just seemed to increase.

One portion seemed to give me a little bit of trouble - the facade of his building. I wanted the surface to carry the complexity I remembered, but at the same time, the colors I mixed in did not seem to work. What you see above in the photos does not really represent well what's on the canvas, I have to admit. But I want to share it with you.

I'd like to share one more thought with you. During 915 Artists last open studios event, several people expressed an interest in several of the Crown Heights series. I told them, as I'm now telling you, that I am not selling any of them for the time being. I really want to exhibit the entire series together, so that they can be seen as a unit. I will let you know when this takes place.

As always, I want to thank the people who visited my studio May 1 and 2. It was great seeing you and having the opportunity to talk with you.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Best,

William Kosman

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like these a lot. You capture the bloom of lights in the dark very well.

    Seth

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Lee Romano Sequeira said…

    Hello Bill - Beautiful paintings and sentiment ~ as always.
    ~ Lee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home