William Kosman - Artiste Peintre

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

# 78 - A New Accomplishment for Me at K and A?




                                         "Hope at K and A III"


                                         "Together"

Fellow art Lovers:

The paintings I’ve done of the scene near the El station at the intersection of Allegheny and Kensington Avenues – the now-famous K and A – are some of the most successful works I’ve done in a long time, if only judging from the comments I’ve received and the way I feel about them. Of course, it was the scene but most of all the people that brought the works to life.  And I’ve tried to paint in a way that stresses the ideas I believe in, all of which circle around brave people facing life with courage. You’ve heard a lot from me on that score.

Then, something interesting happened: I kept returning to the scene, looking for something new. And one night it happened. In front of a setting sun, a group of music lovers captured the sidewalk. A very tall guitarist invited people to sing with him, and when a woman took the microphone, a man started dancing. Just like that. Of course, they’re true art lovers just like us. They only practice different arts.

I used this new cast of characters to try to push my style toward more expression. Of course, you’ve also heard a lot of this also from me.

In “Together,” I tried a slightly naïve style with brighter colors and an unrealistic background and distorted shapes, and of course our new cast of characters. The result was brave, but it was not exactly what I was aiming for.

Then, in “Hope at K and A III,” I toned it all down a bit but showed the figures in a slightly different style and took only measured liberty with the entire scene. There was what I hope was a very judicious use of the painted line. With this painting, I personally feel I got closer to the way I want to express my ideas.

Of course, in working on both paintings I had to deal with a whole bunch of technical aspects, like placing the figures in the right positions on the canvas, representing each group with the right level of detail, showing the reflection of the light, etc. – but I’ve talked about these in earlier blog postings. If anyone has any questions, just shoot me a note and I’ll answer whatever questions you’d like to ask.

Of course, I’d like to hear your ideas of both of these works. So, if you have a minute or two, please shoot me an e-mail.  

As always, thanks for your time and your support.

Best,


Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home